The Estate is set in lovely grounds with beautiful gardens

Guildford Sunset Homes was founded in 1947 by a group of local people. It is a non-profit making housing association providing accommodation for persons of pensionable age who are capable of leading an independent life and willing to give neighbourly support.

Guildford Sunset Homes acquired the lease of Merrow House from Poyle Charities to provide a residential home for 31 elderly people. Merrow House was opened in 1949 by HRH Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent.

In 1962, 92 flatlets in seven blocks were built in the grounds adjoining Merrow House and these were officially opened, as had Merrow House, by HRH Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent.

Browell House and Thrupp House were built in 1976 adding another 26 units to the offering of the estate.

Merrow House was closed as a Retirement Home in 1978 and converted into 12 single and double flats in 1984. Within Merrow House there is also a guest flat for occasional use by relatives and friends of the residents.

Throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s major refurbishment work was started to change the studios or “flatlets” as they had been called into 1 bedroomed apartments. Today, 2013, the estate comprises of 87 apartments.

Situated in the heart of the surrey village of Merrow tucked away in a quiet street, Guildford Sunset Homes Estate is set in lovely grounds with beautiful gardens and many mature trees and shrubs. There are large common rooms (also housing a full sized billiards table) within Merrow House which all residents use for coffee mornings, bingo, social gatherings and reading etc.

The Association is controlled by a committee of Management comprised of volunteers interested in housing needs. The committee decides the policies of the Association and oversees the work of the staff.

Since 1986 the management of the flats has been undertaken by Retirement Lease Housing Association on behalf of Guildford Sunset Homes.